Woman arrested at Atlanta airport for smuggling cocaine in shoes
The Georgia woman, who wasn’t named, was returning from Jamaica on Sunday when agents pulled her aside for further inspection, according to the news release. It did not say why she was flagged.
Upon examination of her bags, officers found a white powdery substance concealed in the bottoms of seven pairs of shoes, the news release says. The substance field-tested positive for cocaine, the release said.
In images shared by CBP, the shoes, ranging from sneakers to sandals and even a pair of wedges, are arranged on a table after officers took them apart. In the sole of each shoe and inserted in the heel of the wedge, a package of cocaine can be seen.
On a typical day, border agents seize more than 3,600 pounds of drugs, according to CBP.
“Smugglers go through great lengths to conceal drugs from our officers,” Paula Rivera, CBP port director for the Area Port of Atlanta, said in the news release. “Narcotics interdiction remains a priority CBP enforcement mission, one that we take very seriously.”
Officials estimate that the three pounds of cocaine they found in the woman’s shoes has a street value of $40,000. The woman was turned over to the Clayton County Police Department for prosecution, according to CBP.
“Criminal charges are merely allegations,’ reads the release. “Defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.”
CNN has reached out to the Clayton County police for more information on the woman and the charges she faces.
- ‘We can’t create more water’: Water Works warns drought could endanger drinking supply
- Coronavirus live news: India variant found in 44 countries – WHO; Taiwan faces new outbreak
- Amcham finds 42% of members surveyed are planning or considering leaving Hong Kong
- Tuchel: I lied to Auba about meeting times
- ‘You breathe differently when you aren’t the only one:’ Women are leading America’s key news outlets
- Police: Babies abducted during Savannah shooting found safe, suspect now in custody
- Greg Gutfeld: Despite statistics showing low outdoor COVID spread, media peddles fear
- Liz Cheney shames colleagues who will purge her for disloyalty to Trump
- Favre yet to repay state $600K, Mississippi says
- One in four cities cannot afford climate crisis protection measures – study
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…