US economy soars 6.4% in first quarter as stimulus and vaccinations help recovery
The US economy took off in the first quarter soaring 6.4% as rising vaccinations, a massive round of government stimulus and a steady recovery in the jobs market helped reverse some of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
The annualized rate, released by the Commerce Department on Thursday, suggests the US economy is firmly on the road to recovery. In normal times the US economy grows at about 2-2.5% a year but the pandemic triggered wild swings as the country went into lockdown and businesses shuttered.
A year ago US unemployment hit a post World War II high of 14.8%, it has since fallen to 6%. The economy suffered its worst quarterly retraction in history last year, shrinking 32.9% on an annualized basis. It grew at 4.3% in the last three months of 2020 after recording a remarkable annual growth rate of 33.4% in the previous three months.
Problems remain, the number of people filing for unemployment benefits each week is still close to three times as high as pre-pandemic levels and the jobs market is still down 8.4m jobs. But the fast rollout of vaccines, the reopening of businesses and the Biden administration’s $1.9bn stimulus bill have boosted consumer confidence and fueled an impressive recovery.
The US government sent cheques to 90 million Americans in March and consumer confidence is now approaching pre-pandemic levels having risen for four months in a row. Consumer spending accounts for two thirds of US economic activity.
- Police: Babies abducted during Savannah shooting found safe, suspect now in custody
- One in four cities cannot afford climate crisis protection measures – study
- There were at least 11 mass shootings across the US this weekend
- Your Wednesday Briefing
- Cameroon jails two transgender women for ‘attempted homosexuality’
- More than 350 animals seized from Norman property during animal welfare investigation
- Florida Gov. DeSantis touts bonuses for policemen, beating lockdowns and banning ‘Zuckerbucks’
- Covid vaccine Australia data tracker: how the rollout is progressing, tracking daily new coronavirus cases, stats and live data
- Claiming the Summit Without Reaching the Top
- Sydney and NSW Covid-19 restrictions: what you can and can’t do under new coronavirus rules
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…