PITTSBURGH — Filip Lindberg had 25 saves, Aaron Bohlinger scored his first career goal and Massachusetts beat St. Cloud State 5-0 on Saturday night to win the program’s first NCAA men’s hockey title.
After a St. Cloud State turnover, Bohlinger led a breakaway and dropped the puck to Ryan Sullivan whose one-touch pass set up Bohlinger’s one-timer to open the scoring about 7 minutes into the game. Reed Lebster’s wrap-around goal with about a minute left in the first gave the Minutemen a 2-0 lead.
UMass (20-5-4), which extended its unbeaten streak to a program-record 14 games, made its third NCAA tournament appearance. The Minutemen lost 3-0 to Minnesota Duluth — which UMass beat in Thursday’s semifinals — in the 2019 title game. The 2020 Frozen Four was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
David Hrenak had 17 saves for St. Cloud State (20-11-0), which made the program’s first title game appearance.
Philip Lagunov picked up a loose puck near center ice, cut back to evade a defender and scored a short-handed goal about five minutes into the second period to make it 3-0. Matthew Kessel added a power-play goal about eight minutes later, and Bobby Trivigno capped the scoring in the third period.
Lindberg posted his record fourth career shutout in the NCAA tournament. The junior from Finland went into the game leading the nation in goals against average (1.33) and save percentage (.946).
UMass is 15-0-0 this season when scoring at least four goals.
- NWS: EF-0 tornado touched down in New Orleans, causing widespread damage
- Markets fall again as inflation worries rattle investors – business live
- ‘He’s so fun to watch’: Yankees’ Cole shows he’s an ace for the ages
- These long-awaited milestones could soon return as more young Americans get vaccinated, CDC director says
- Portugal’s hotels see huge spike in booking requests after UK gives green light on international travel
- Thousands of Cambodians go hungry in strict lockdown zones
- Coronavirus update: Latest Covid-19 vaccine and world news
- ‘Odd, eerie and haunting’: behind Maya Lin’s Manhattan ghost forest
- Ingraham: Multiple crises expose weakness of President Biden’s leadership
- Windsor to upgrade officers’ tasers: ‘They need to be replaced’
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…