Two New York doormen who closed the doors while an Asian woman was attacked have been fired
The Brodsky Organization, which owns the building at 360 W. 43rd St. in Manhattan, said in a statement Tuesday that it had completed an inquiry into the doormen’s response to the March 29 attack.
“The full lobby video shows that once the assailant had departed, the doormen emerged to assist the victim and flag down an NYPD vehicle, it is clear that required emergency and safety protocols were not followed,” the company said.
“We are extremely distraught and shocked by this incident, and our hearts go out to the victim,” it added.
The doormen were suspended after the attack, pending the outcome of the investigation. Building residents had defended the men in an open letter to the organization, saying surveillance footage “most certainly mischaracterizes” their actions and that they did not believe the staff members had “failed us as residents, our Midtown Manhattan community, nor our fellow AAPI (Asian American and Pacific Islander) New Yorkers.”
Elliot, 38, allegedly made anti-Asian statements toward the woman during the physical assault. The woman had serious injuries, including contusions and a fractured pelvis, and was treated at a Manhattan hospital, according to the NYPD.
The midmorning assault took place against a backdrop of attacks against Asians and Asian-Americans, including the Atlanta-area spa shootings that killed eight people, six of whom were Asian women.
The NYPD recorded 31 anti-Asian hate crimes in the city so far this year, compared to zero this time last year.
Local union SEIU 32BJ identified the two fired employees as a doorman and a concierge who are members of the union. President Kyle Bragg noted in a statement that the union is “comprised of majority immigrant, Black and brown workers.”
“Under their collective bargaining agreement, both employees have the right to file grievances. There is a contractual process to challenge terminations. The employees have initiated that process, but the process is just beginning and can take weeks or months,” Bragg said. “We take anti-Asian hatred, and all forms of discrimination, seriously.”
CNN’s Laura Ly contributed to this report.
- Donovon Lynch’s family attorney claims body was moved, another officer was involved in Oceanfront shooting
- With Australia’s delayed vaccine rollout, a reunion with my parents overseas inches further from reach | Jill Stark
- Panthers acquire Bennett in trade with Flames
- Yes, police can pull you over for hanging an air freshener in your car
- Smartmatic says disinformation on Fox News about the election was ‘no accident.’
- Man confronts CNN reporter with expletive-filled rant urging press to leave MN: The media ‘makes this worse!’
- Alaska woman caught COVID-19 a second time after Johnson & Johnson vaccine
- KCK dog gets lots of pets and treats after alerting neighbors to owner’s medical emergency
- Virginia Attorney General Opens Investigation Into Windsor Police Department
- Movie theater chain in Los Angeles, forced to close by the pandemic, will not reopen.
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…