Twitter stock plunges on user miss and low guidance
Twitter’s stock was down more than 11% in after-hours trading on Thursday after the company released its first-quarter earnings, missing on user growth expectations and providing lower revenue guidance for the second quarter than expected.
Here’s what Twitter reported versus Wall Street’s estimates:
- Earnings: 16 cents per share, adjusted, vs. 14 cents forecast by Refinitiv
- Revenue: $1.04 billion vs. $1.03 billion forecast by Refinitiv
- Monetizable daily active users (mDAUs): 199 million vs. 200 million expected forecast by FactSet
The company reported revenue of $1.04 billion for the quarter, which was up 28% from $808 million a year prior. Twitter also reported a profit of $68 million, contrasted with a loss of $8.4 million a year ago.
Twitter guided that it is expecting revenue between $980 million and $1.08 billion in the second quarter. Analysts were expecting guidance of $1.06 billion on average, according to Refinitiv.
Twitter’s total number of monetizable daily users grew by 7 million from the fourth quarter to 199 million but fell shy of analysts’ expectations of 200 million. The user base was up 20% compared with a year ago. The quarter marked Twitter’s first period mostly without the presence of former President Donald Trump after he was removed from the service following the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.
Twitter ad revenue grew 32% year over year to $899 million, according to the report, with total ad engagement growing 11% over the same period.
The company said it is still too early to understand the impact of Apple’s privacy changes in iOS 14.5. However, Twitter pointed out that its integration of Apple’s SKAdNetwork enabled the company to increase by 30% the total number of iOS devices it can reach with its Mobile Application Promotion (MAP) offering.
- Sheriff agrees to release video involving inmate’s death at jail following family request
- Paralyzed man uses his mind to form real-time sentences
- Removed from royal display, Meghan and Harry waxworks join Madame Tussauds’ ‘party zone’
- NBA playoff watch: Phoenix slows Portland’s roll; Spurs clinch play-in
- The Moon, Mars and Beyond: China’s Ambitious Plans in Space
- Dogecoin rallies on Elon Musk tweet, anticipated Coinbase listing
- Blistering report alleges Chinese solar panel supply chain tainted by forced labor
- Beneath Joe Biden’s Folksy Demeanor, a Short Fuse and an Obsession With Details
- Expert Picks: Who Will Win the Preakness?
- Biden’s COVID-19 ‘rule’ tweet panned on social media
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…