Singapore’s leadership succession is in disarray. Here’s who could be the next prime minister
SINGAPORE — Singapore’s carefully planned leadership succession has been thrown into disarray.
Political observers say it’s now not clear who would become the Asian financial hub’s next prime minister.
Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat shocked the nation late Thursday, when he announced that he will step aside as the designated successor to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.
He said he turns 60 this year, and cited his age as an obstacle in steering the country in a post-pandemic world.
Heng will relinquish his role as finance minister at the next cabinet reshuffle, which local media said is expected in two weeks’ time. Still, he will remain as deputy prime minister and coordinating minister for economic policies.
“It does throw a spanner in the works in terms of Singapore’s very carefully laid out succession plans, but I don’t see that as a body blow to Singapore’s political renewal,” Eugene Tan, a law professor at Singapore Management University and a political observer, told CNBC’s “Street Signs Asia” on Friday.
Analysts have identified four potential candidates who could be chosen by the leadership to become Singapore’s next prime minister:
- Chan Chun Sing, 51, who’s trade and industry minister;
- Ong Ye Kung, 51, who’s transport minister;
- Lawrence Wong, 48, who’s education minister and co-chair of the country’s taskforce on Covid-19;
- Desmond Lee, 44, national development minister.
Gillian Koh, deputy director for research at the National University of Singapore’s Institute of Policy Studies, said the men have had some exposure on the international stage. That could help ease them into the top job, she said Friday on CNBC’s “Squawk Box Asia.”
However, she pointed out that Wong and Lee, who are both in their 40s, would have “a much longer runway” even if they were to take over five years from now.
The ruling People’s Action Party has governed Singapore since the country’s independence in 1965. Leadership transition — Singapore has only had two so far — is usually an uneventful affair, with a successor identified many years before the sitting prime minister steps down.
But even before Heng’s decision to step aside, the country’s leadership succession plan was upended by the Covid-19 pandemic, said Tan, the law professor.
Lee is 69 this year and said on Thursday that he would stay on as prime minister until a new successor emerges and is ready to take over.
“The pandemic has really upended the leadership succession plans, and so … I see DPM (deputy prime minister) Heng as being an unfortunate casualty,” said Tan, who added that Heng looked “very much at peace” with his decision to step aside.
- 2 police officers used excessive force, threatened Army officer during traffic stop, lawsuit says
- Matsuyama shoots 7-under 65, leads at Masters
- He Sought Refuge in Online Poker: ‘This Is Never About the Cards’
- Maryland to end police Bill of Rights after Democrats override GOP governor’s vetoes
- UMass wins first NCAA men’s hockey title
- In South Korea, patients pay for a star plastic surgeon — and get operated by a ghost doctor
- Review Your Social Media Etiquette
- Florida hit-run kills NY federal judge, suspect claimed to be ‘Harry Potter’: police
- Slain 20-year-old Raleigh student had recently married her alleged killer
- The United Arab Emirates has announced its first female astronaut
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…