New Orleans police sending more officers to Bourbon Street after rise in crime, chief says
Chief Shaun Ferguson said Wednesday that the force will deploy more officers to the city’s popular Bourbon Street entertainment area while maintaining patrols in other parts of the city.
The chief addressed the situation at a news conference, FOX 8 of New Orleans reported.
Homicides are up 27%, shootings 50%, violent crime 23% and armed robberies 15%, according to Ferguson, FOX 8 reported.
“There’s some serious stressors out there,” Ferguson said, discussing the possible causes of the recent spike. “We really need to look at our mental state because we are seeing things rapidly evolve unnecessarily.”
Many incidents stem from domestic disputes and arguments involving people who already know each other, the chief said.
Last Saturday, shootings along Bourbon Street left at least five people wounded, NOLA.com reported.
On Sunday, a 61-year-old woman was punched in the face by a 23-year-old suspect, police told the newspaper. The impact caused the woman to fall and strike her head against the pavement, leading to her death two days later, the report said.
The suspect, identified as Jeremiah Mark, remained in custody Wednesday on a manslaughter charge, the newspaper reported.
- NBA playoff watch: Phoenix slows Portland’s roll; Spurs clinch play-in
- Blistering report alleges Chinese solar panel supply chain tainted by forced labor
- Beneath Joe Biden’s Folksy Demeanor, a Short Fuse and an Obsession With Details
- Expert Picks: Who Will Win the Preakness?
- Biden’s COVID-19 ‘rule’ tweet panned on social media
- Positively LEX 18: Customers come for the cut, stay for the tunes at Paris barbershop
- Why is one of Cuba’s most rebellious artists still isolated in a government hospital?
- Avalanche lock up No. 1 overall seed for playoffs
- The Rules of Revelation by Lisa McInerney review – an ‘unholy trinity’ concludes
- Prince Harry reveals secret supermarket meeting with Meghan
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…