Microsoft plans to take a smaller cut from developers in its games store.
Microsoft will decrease the share of money it charges independent developers that publish PC games on its online store, starting in August, the company said on Thursday.
Developers will keep 88 percent of the revenue from their games, up from 70 percent. That could make Microsoft’s store more attractive to independent studios than competitors like Valve’s gaming store, called Steam, which typically starts by taking a 30 percent cut. Epic Games’ store takes 12 percent.
“We want to make sure that we’re competitive in the market,” said Sarah Bond, a Microsoft vice president who leads the gaming ecosystem organization. “Our objective is to have a leading revenue share and really a leading platform.”
The share of revenue that developers get to keep has come under greater scrutiny across the tech industry. Google and Apple have faced antitrust questions for the 30 percent fees they charge developers whose programs appear in their app stores.
Last year, Epic sued Apple and Google separately, claiming they violated antitrust laws by forcing developers to use their payment systems. Epic had tried to bypass the fees by letting customers pay for items in its Fortnite video game directly through Epic. That caused Apple and Google to boot Fortnite from their app stores.
- Sources: Rapper J. Cole to play hoops in Africa
- New York City cops get creative to lure mother duckling back to safety – CNN Video
- Los Angeles-area man disguised himself as White guy to commit over 30 home burglaries, police say
- Cruise lines could bypass porting from Florida due to vaccination requirements
- Airline passengers fined $20,000 as US agency cracks down on unruly fliers
- Portnoy riffs on ‘$40 million punching bag’ Goodell: Feud started ‘as a joke’; he’s ‘least self-aware’ exec
- A Wandering Tiger Unnerved Houston. The Man Who Fled With It Is a Murder Suspect.
- Pediatricians prepare to vaccinate youngest Covid-19 shot recipients yet
- Rangers Look to Move Past ‘Crazy’ Season
- F.B.I. Identifies Group Behind Pipeline Hack
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…