Manchin warns Biden’s infrastructure bill is in trouble over corporate tax hikes
“As the bill exists today, it needs to be changed,” he told West Virginia Metro News host Hoppy Kercheval in a radio interview when asked if he supported or opposed President Joe Biden’s $2.25 trillion proposal.
Manchin said he is against raising the current 21% corporate tax rate — which was put in place by the 2017 tax overhaul under the Trump administration — to 28% as called for in the bill and instead supports a middle ground 25% rate, which he called “fair.”
The West Virginia senator said he would use the “leverage” he has in the 50-50 Senate to demand changes before voting to take up the bill, which has been introduced but expected to go through weeks or months of negotiations before being debated on the floor.
“If I don’t vote to get on it, it’s not going anywhere. So we’re going to have some leverage here. And it’s more than just me, Hoppy. There are six or seven other Democrats who feel very strongly about this. We have to be competitive and we’re not going to throw caution to the wind,” he said without revealing who the other Democrats are.
Manchin has signaled for weeks that he wants to include Republicans in talks over an infrastructure package and then pass a bipartisan bill that could get the 60 votes needed to override a filibuster. He wants to avoid using a partisan budget process called reconciliation to pass it with only Democratic votes.
A ruling from the Senate parliamentarian about whether Senate rules allow them to use that process to pass the infrastructure bill, as they did the $1.9 trillion Covid relief bill earlier this year, could come this week
“We have to have our Republican friends work with us too,” Manchin said in the interview. “They just can’t be against everything thinking this going to be political posturing we are going to take for the 2022 elections.”
- Donovon Lynch’s family attorney claims body was moved, another officer was involved in Oceanfront shooting
- With Australia’s delayed vaccine rollout, a reunion with my parents overseas inches further from reach | Jill Stark
- Panthers acquire Bennett in trade with Flames
- Yes, police can pull you over for hanging an air freshener in your car
- Smartmatic says disinformation on Fox News about the election was ‘no accident.’
- Man confronts CNN reporter with expletive-filled rant urging press to leave MN: The media ‘makes this worse!’
- Alaska woman caught COVID-19 a second time after Johnson & Johnson vaccine
- KCK dog gets lots of pets and treats after alerting neighbors to owner’s medical emergency
- Virginia Attorney General Opens Investigation Into Windsor Police Department
- Biden nominates former New Jersey attorney general to lead D.E.A.
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…