LIVE UPDATES: Derek Chauvin trial continues Friday; medical examiner expected to testify
The murder trial of former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin is set to resume Friday morning.
Hennepin County Medical Examiner Dr. Andrew Baker is expected to testify. He performed the only autopsy on George Floyd following his May 2020 death.
On Thursday, a medical expert testified that Floyd died of a lack of oxygen from being pinned to the pavement with a knee on his neck, not because of drug use and health issues.
“A healthy person subjected to what Mr. Floyd was subjected to would have died,” said prosecution witness Dr. Martin Tobin, a lung and critical care specialist at the Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital and Loyola University’s medical school in Illinois.
- Chauvin, 45, is charged with second and third-degree murder and manslaughter in the death of Floyd.
- Defense attorney Eric Nelson has argued that the now-fired White officer did what he was trained to do and that Floyd’s death was caused by illegal drugs and underlying medical problems.
Tobin, analyzing a graphic presentation of the three officers restraining Floyd for what prosecutors say was almost 9 1/2 minutes, testified that Chauvin’s knee was “virtually on the neck” for more than 90% of the time.
Chauvin kept his knee on Floyd’s neck for 3 minutes, 2 seconds, after Floyd had “reached the point where there was not one ounce of oxygen left in the body,” Tobin added.
Dr. Bill Smock, a Louisville, Kentucky, physician in forensic medicine, also testified that Floyd had died from “positional asphyxia.”
Fox News will present coverage surrounding the historic trial throughout the week. In addition to programming on the Fox News Channel, Fox News Digital will provide livestreams of the proceeding at FoxNews.com.
Follow below for more updates on the trial. Mobile users click here.
- ‘Point Zion’ lauded for ‘tremendous’ efforts in win
- Real Madrid v Barcelona: El Clásico – live!
- Is a party that sells police stations to criminals so very tough on crime? | Nick Cohen
- Pablo Fornals: ‘We never stop running – we have to enjoy these moments’
- Concerned NYC mom asks de Blasio ‘what’s being done’ about broad-daylight crimes
- Prince Charles pays tribute to his father Prince Philip
- Former Big Brother contestant Nikki Grahame dies aged 38
- ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ tops $60 million domestically, the best box office haul of the pandemic
- Colorado woman accused of murder-for-hire plot had violent past with child, estranged husband: affidavit
- Rachael Blackmore becomes first female jockey to win the Grand National
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…