Futures rise slightly after S&P 500 hits fresh record
U.S. stock futures moved higher in overnight trading on Thursday after the S&P 500 notched a fresh record in the regular session.
Dow futures rose about 50 points. S&P 500 futures gained 0.2% and Nasdaq 100 futures rose 0.17%.
The S&P 500 climbed 0.42% and closed at a record high for the second day in a row.
Investors largely shrugged off an unexpected jump in jobless claims from last week. The Labor Department reported first-time claims for the week ended April 3 totaled 744,000, well above the expectation for 694,000 from economists surveyed by Dow Jones.
Treasury yields retreated from their recent highs with the 10-year Treasury yield hovering around 1.6%.
Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell called the recovery from the pandemic “uneven” on Thursday, signaling a more robust recovery is needed.
“The recovery remains uneven and incomplete,” Powell said Thursday in a virtual event presented by the International Monetary Fund and moderated by CNBC’s Sara Eisen. “This unevenness that we’re talking about is a very serious issue.”
The major averages are set to end the week higher. The Dow is up nearly 1.6% this week. The S&P 500 has gained more than 1.9% since Monday. The Nasdaq Composite has rallied more than 2.5% heading into Friday.
Enjoyed this article?
For exclusive stock picks, investment ideas and CNBC global livestream
Sign up for CNBC Pro
Start your free trial now
- Manchester City v Leeds United: Premier League – live!
- China hits Alibaba with record $2.8 billion fine for behaving like a monopoly
- A muted mourning for Prince Philip as Covid-19 changes funeral plans
- Australia dominates New Zealand with the ball to extend record streak
- ‘You Can’t Trust Anyone’: Russia’s Hidden Covid Toll Is an Open Secret
- Trump flag violates Minnesota city ordinance — but business owner willing to pay fines, ‘go to jail’
- Staying Afloat as Interest Rates Rise
- Sunflowers: a feast for your eyes, and for pollinators | Alys Fowler
- ‘People don’t want any of them’: Peru election sees unpredictable contest
- How an arcane budget provision could let Democrats advance their agenda
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…