Democratic Illinois governor, Chicago mayor booed at White Sox home opener
Pritzker and Lightfoot were greeted by a chorus of boos as they walked onto the field ahead of the first pitch. A reporter for the Chicago Sun-Times noted that the Democratic politicians drew more boos while walking onto the field than the White Sox opponent, the Kansas City Royals.
About 9,000 fans were slated to attend the team’s first home game of the 2021 season. Attendance at White Sox home games is currently limited to 22% capacity in order to comply with coronavirus-related restrictions.
Lightfoot, who has served as Chicago’s mayor since 2019, is a White Sox season ticket holder. She was also booed while attending the crosstown Chicago Cubs’ home opener at Wrigley Field last week.
Lightfoot has faced criticism from both sides of the aisle during her tenure. In a recent column, the Chicago Tribune noted the mayor “hasn’t yet fulfilled key campaign promises,” such as a pledge to implement an elected school board.
Like Democratic governors in several other states, Pritzker has faced criticism for establishing harsh restrictions during the coronavirus pandemic. The governor defended his handling of the crisis while unveiling his state budget proposal in February.
“All of this was in the pursuit of one goal and one goal only — saving as many lives as possible,” Pritzker said, according to the Chicago Tribune.
- Rare tropical cyclone to make landfall in Western Australia
- Prince Charles remembers ‘dear papa’ as details of funeral emerge
- ‘Clear the Capitol’: Pence plea amid riot retold in dramatic Pentagon document
- Maryland Gov. Hogan vetoes bill that would do away with life-without-parole sentences for juveniles
- Marshall D. Sahlins, Groundbreaking Anthropologist, Dies at 90
- ‘Point Zion’ lauded for ‘tremendous’ efforts in win
- Real Madrid v Barcelona: El Clásico – live!
- Is a party that sells police stations to criminals so very tough on crime? | Nick Cohen
- Pablo Fornals: ‘We never stop running – we have to enjoy these moments’
- Concerned NYC mom asks de Blasio ‘what’s being done’ about broad-daylight crimes
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…