CLEVELAND — Patrick Carney wasn’t nervous before his first live drumming gig in more than a year, just honored.
A lifelong Indians fan and one half of The Black Keys, the Grammy Award-winning rock duo from Akron, Ohio, Carney filled in Monday at Cleveland’s home opener for drummer John Adams, who is recovering from heart surgery.
Adams missed his first home opener since 1973, ending a run that has featured him sitting high in the left-field bleachers and pounding a steady beat whenever the Indians are hitting.
Carney was thrilled to be able to sit in for Adams.
“I’m stoked to be here for John,” Carney told The Associated Press about two hours before the Indians hosted the Kansas City Royals at Progressive Field. “It’s the best seat in the house and I wish John could be here, obviously. When I heard he wasn’t healthy enough to make it, I thought it was good way to pay some respect to him and show him some love.”
Before he could begin banging away, Carney was bestowed drumming duties by Adams during a video presentation in the first inning.
Carney’s appearance didn’t spark the Indians, who managed just three hits and were shut out 3-0 by the Royals.
Carney said he attended his first Indians game in Cleveland when he was “5 or 6” and that one of his close friends who accompanied him to that game decades ago was attending the opener.
Like so many musical acts, The Black Keys haven’t been on a stage since just before the COVID-19 pandemic shut down normal life.
“This is my first show since last January,” Carney said. “Crazy. This is gonna be fun.”
Carney said he’s looking forward to concerts resuming and that he and bandmate Dan Auerbach could have an announcement next week on their upcoming plans.
- Mexico warns that selling fake Covid-19 vaccines jeopardizes public health
- Every Dollar is a Soldier/With Money You’re a Dragon review – haunting history
- The U.S. Has a New Climate Goal. How Does It Stack Up Globally?
- Mikel Arteta reveals Kroenkes have apologised to him over Super League
- George Christensen to retire at next election blaming ‘broken’ state of Australian politics
- Analysis: Can Bolsonaro be taken at his word on protecting the environment? A look at his record
- Southwest Airlines says leisure bookings improving, expects to break even in June
- As women directors enter the Oscar spotlight, here are 13 filmmakers to watch
- Infrastructure negotiations: Republicans to unveil $600 billion framework as Democrats try to iron out issues
- Boris Johnson may be questioned by senior MPs on use of personal phone
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…