Biden races to get Americans vaccinated as Covid variants continue to spread – live
At campaign rallies, Donald Trump specialized in crafting political slogans whose catchiness obscured the lack of actual policy behind them: lock her up, America First, build the wall, drain the swamp.
But there was one Trump slogan that turned out to have a shocking amount of policy behind it – hundreds of pieces of legislation nationwide in just the last three months, in fact, constituting the most coordinated, organized and determined Republican push on any political issue in recent memory.
The slogan was “stop the steal,” a tendentious reference to Trump’s big lie about the November election result.
And the policy behind it was aggressive voter suppression, targeting people of color, urbanites, low-income communities and other groups whose full participation in future elections is seen by Republicans as a threat.
For decades, conservatives have made limited government, lower taxes, “family” values, religious freedom, public safety, national security and restrictions on abortion the centerpiece of their pitch to voters.
In 2021, those issues have been joined on the party platform by – and sometimes seem to be eclipsed by – a bold new policy proposal: prevent voting.
Since the November election, Republican state legislatures across the country have introduced more than 250 bills creating barriers to voting, cutting early voting, purging voter rolls, limiting absentee options and now, in Georgia, outlawing giving someone stuck in a 10-hour line a bottle of water.
- Coronavirus live news: Europe death toll passes one million; India approves Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine
- ‘You were right there to pick me up:’ Tom Brady’s heartfelt message to Julian Edelman
- LIVE UPDATES: Derek Chauvin murder trial continues Tuesday
- Analysis: Why Biden is making more progress on economic than social issues
- Hoax device detonated near Manchester Central High School
- Legumes research gets flexitarian pulses racing with farming guidance
- Doncic: ‘Don’t see the point’ of play-in tourney
- Temasek and BlackRock commit $600 million to invest in firms working to reduce carbon emissions
- Turkey’s economic turmoil drives Bitcoin frenzy
- African health workers left without Covid jabs as paltry supplies dwindle
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…