Australia news live: over 50s now eligible for AstraZeneca vaccine; WA considers longer-term mask measures
Good morning! It’s Matilda Boseley here, ready to kick off the news week.
Now, while I’m still a way off the jab, I have no doubt that a decent section of the people reading this right now has woken up, suddenly eligible for a vaccine.
Yes, from this morning every Australian over 50 years old is now able to book in for a dose of AstraZeneca as Australia’s vaccine rollout truly begins to ramp up.
All those eligible can organise to get their jabs with their GP, and in several states, such as Victoria, mass vaccination hubs will also be opening their doors. (Sorry NSW boomers – and older Gen-X: while your doctor can give you the jab, your mass vaccination hubs won’t expand their booking criteria to you for another three weeks.)
If you are getting vaccinated tweet me a photo on Twitter @MatildaBoseley and I’ll share your good fortune with the blog! (And be quietly jealous, as my 24-year-old self has all but given up on being vaccinated in 2021.)
Some of the big names rolling up their sleeves today include Western Australia premier Mark McGowan and health minister Roger Cook.
Speaking of McGowan, this all comes as the Western Australian government weighs up the prospect of an extended period of mask-wearing as contact tracers race to contain the latest outbreak and avoid another coronavirus lockdown.
McGowan yesterday confirmed no new locally acquired Covid cases had been detected, after a hotel quarantine security guard and two of his housemates tested positive – the second minor hotel outbreak in as many weeks.
Sunday’s AFL western derby between West Coast and Fremantle at Optus Stadium was played with empty stands, nightclubs were closed and Perth and Peel residents were ordered to return to wearing masks indoors and outdoors.
McGowan flagged that face coverings might become “a longer-term measure in coming weeks”.
And that is unfortunate because I know how uncomfortable and difficult it is but that may be one of the measures that we put in place to provide additional protection.
A number of high-risk locations have been released as contact tracers continue to work through the movements of the three infected men but so far all 16 “high-risk” close contacts have returned negative tests.
Some other things worth looking out for:
- The federal government is standing firm on its threat to jail travellers trying to return from India.
- Tasmania’s Liberal party is edging closer to forming a majority government but the final seat tally from Saturday’s election may not be known for a week.
- Western Australia is facing growing calls to stop locking up children as young as 10, with a new report exposing the dire over-representation of Aboriginal youth in custody.
- More than 50 health and medical groups have penned a letter to Scott Morrison, senior members of his government and Labor MPs to reduce decarbonise the healthcare sector by 2040.
- Tuchel: I lied to Auba about meeting times
- Police: Babies abducted during Savannah shooting found safe, suspect now in custody
- Greg Gutfeld: Despite statistics showing low outdoor COVID spread, media peddles fear
- One in four cities cannot afford climate crisis protection measures – study
- British troops were twice as likely to be killed in Afghanistan as US forces
- There were at least 11 mass shootings across the US this weekend
- Your Wednesday Briefing
- Cameroon jails two transgender women for ‘attempted homosexuality’
- More than 350 animals seized from Norman property during animal welfare investigation
- Florida Gov. DeSantis touts bonuses for policemen, beating lockdowns and banning ‘Zuckerbucks’
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…