An hours-long standoff in North Carolina leaves five dead, including two sheriff’s deputies
Five people, including two sheriff’s deputies, are dead after a 13-hour standoff Wednesday in Boone, North Carolina, authorities said.
[Original story, published at 4:02 a.m. ET]
One Watauga County sheriff’s deputy has been killed and another wounded in an armed standoff near Boone, North Carolina, officials said in a release sent on behalf of the Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Office said a standoff with the suspected shooter is ongoing.
Sgt. Chris Ward, died after being flown to Johnson City Medical Center in Tennessee for treatment, according to the release that was prepared by the media relations staff at Appalachian State University. K-9 Deputy Logan Fox is still on the scene. His condition is unknown.
Deputies responded Wednesday morning to a call for a wellness check because the homeowner did not show up for work or respond to telephone calls, according to the statement.
Deputies went into the home after finding all vehicles belonging to the residents were on the property.
An earlier statement said the two deputies were shot by an “unknown individual” in the house.
“This is an incredibly tragic situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved as well as their families and our community,” Watauga County Sheriff Len Hagaman said. “I greatly appreciate the tremendous support we are receiving from law enforcement agencies across the region and the state.”
The suspected shooter is barricaded in the home and occasionally fires in the direction of law enforcement officers, according to the statement.
Nearby residents have been evacuated.
Multiple agencies are assisting the sheriff’s office at the scene of the standoff.
- Lebanon is on a ‘train to hell’ and ‘about to reach the last station,’ former government advisor says
- NBA playoff watch: Heat clinch and Celtics get closer to play-in spot
- At least 35 killed in Gaza as Israel ramps up airstrikes in response to rocket attacks
- It’s oh so quiet: silent whale watching on Iceland’s first electric boat tour
- ‘We can’t create more water’: Water Works warns drought could endanger drinking supply
- Coronavirus live news: India variant found in 44 countries – WHO; Taiwan faces new outbreak
- Unicef calls on UK to give 20% of vaccines to other countries
- My friend was the victim of a scam – and cuts mean she can do nothing about it | George Monbiot
- ‘We won’t be bouncing back’ – the unsettling truth about the big reopening
- Amcham finds 42% of members surveyed are planning or considering leaving Hong Kong
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…