Amazon’s cloud division reports 32% revenue growth
Andy Jassy, Amazon AWS
The Amazon Web Services division is critical to Amazon’s expansion plans, thanks to its profitability. It appeared in 2006, before rivals such as Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform, and today it has become a force in information technology as a top global software provider, exceeding the likes of Oracle and SAP.
The AWS unit delivered $13.50 billion in revenue, more than the $13.23 billion consensus estimate among analysts polled by FactSet. That was 12% of Amazon’s total revenue.
AWS has come to play a crucial role at Amazon as its most reliable source of income. In the first quarter AWS contributed $4.16 billion in operating income, above the $3.87 billion FactSet consensus estimate and nearly 47% of Amazon’s overall operating income. The operating margin widened to 30.8% from 28% in the prior quarter.
“We have firm confidence that we offer a lot of advantages to AWS customers, from functionality to a vibrant and robust partner ecosystem,” Brian Olsavsky, Amazon’s finance chief, said on a conference call with analysts. “And then really we also have less downtime and better security, which I think is super important to all of our customers, especially security nowadays.”
In the quarter Amazon said that the head of AWS, Andy Jassy, would replace Jeff Bezos as Amazon’s CEO, and that former AWS executive Adam Selipsky would leave his position as head of Salesforce’s Tableau business to run AWS. AWS introduced new computing instances that rely on its latest generation of energy-efficient Arm-based Graviton chips.
- Lebanon is on a ‘train to hell’ and ‘about to reach the last station,’ former government advisor says
- NBA playoff watch: Heat clinch and Celtics get closer to play-in spot
- At least 35 killed in Gaza as Israel ramps up airstrikes in response to rocket attacks
- It’s oh so quiet: silent whale watching on Iceland’s first electric boat tour
- ‘We can’t create more water’: Water Works warns drought could endanger drinking supply
- Coronavirus live news: India variant found in 44 countries – WHO; Taiwan faces new outbreak
- Unicef calls on UK to give 20% of vaccines to other countries
- My friend was the victim of a scam – and cuts mean she can do nothing about it | George Monbiot
- ‘We won’t be bouncing back’ – the unsettling truth about the big reopening
- Amcham finds 42% of members surveyed are planning or considering leaving Hong Kong
Common Symptoms Of COVID-19
The CDC has a collection of nine Roche antibody assays designed to provide rapid results from COVID-19 rapid antigen test. If you are a potential carrier of the human papilloma virus (HPV) and are looking for HPV testing kits for the home, it is important…
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier
Things You Never Knew About The Best Water Purifier: We all know the importance of having a water purifier at home, but not many people know the things they need to know before buying one. Most of the time, we miss out on the most…
Med hub smart pill, a device for patients having medicines intake in the daily schedule.
Med hub smart pill: The drug prescribed by a doctor will be effective if it would be taken at the right time suggested by the doctor because it is necessary for our healing process. When a patient takes too many medicians in a day also…
10 Best Effective Plants to Fight Pollution – Diwali Edition
Effective Plants to Fight Pollution: Few more months and the most awaited festival of the year will be here. We Indians love our festivals, and the biggest festival of India, especially north India, is Diwali. It is a massive affair here. It generally falls in…